BEEKEEPING IN NORTHERN CLIMATES, Year 1: Getting Started in Beekeeping
When: Based on current University guidelines, we have decided not to hold our in-person course in February 2022. We would very much like to go back to in-person courses and will do so when it is more feasible. If you would like to be notified when we will hold an in-person course, please fill out this Google form.
Where: University of Minnesota
Interested in becoming a beekeeper? Dr. Marla Spivak and Gary Reuter from the University of Minnesota Bee Lab will help you get started in beekeeping. If you have had no prior experience keeping bees in our cold climate, Beekeeping in Northern Climates, Year 1 will teach you everything you need to know for a successful first year.
- Purchasing equipment and bees
- Hiving packages
- Best management practices for keeping bees in urban and rural settings
- Honey production
- Successful strategies for the first winter
- Strategies for keeping your bees healthy using medications only as a last resort
- Marla Spivak, Professor, Department of Entomology, University of Minnesota
- Gary Reuter, Scientist, Department of Entomology, University of Minnesota
- Katie Lee, Apiculture Extension educator, University of Minnesota