Due to risks of contracting Covid19, the online course Beekeeping in Northern Climates Online replaces in-person courses (Beekeeping in Northern Climates Year 1 and Year 2). In-person classes will resume again when safe. More information about the online class.
BEEKEEPING IN NORTHERN CLIMATES, Year 1: Getting Started in Beekeeping
This in person class is postponed until it is safe to do so. See above for online course.
Interested in becoming a beekeeper? Dr. Marla Spivak and Gary Reuter from the University of Minnesota Bee Lab will help you get started in beekeeping. If you have had no prior experience keeping bees in our cold climate, Beekeeping in Northern Climates, Year 1 will teach you everything you need to know for a successful first year.
- Purchasing equipment and bees
- Hiving packages
- Best management practices for keeping bees in urban and rural settings
- Honey production
- Successful strategies for the first winter
- Strategies for keeping your bees healthy using medications only as a last resort
- Marla Spivak, Professor, Department of Entomology, University of Minnesota
- Gary Reuter, Scientist, Department of Entomology, University of Minnesota
- Katie Lee, Apiculture Extension educator, University of Minnesota