Due to risks of contracting Covid19, the online course Beekeeping in Northern Climates OnlineMore information on online class.
BEEKEEPING IN NORTHERN CLIMATES Year 2 (Keeping Bees Year After Year)
This in person class is postponed until it is safe to do so. See above for online course.
Need help keeping your bees alive and healthy year after year? If you have taken Beekeeping Part 1, this engaging course is for you. Taught by Dr. Marla Spivak and Gary Reuter from the University of Minnesota Bee Lab, Beekeeping in Northern Climates, Year 2 will help you maintain healthy bee colonies long term. This class can be taken the same year as Beekeeping Year 1, although we recommend you take it after your first year of beekeeping.
Building on first-year knowledge, topics include:
- Dividing colonies in spring to avoid swarms
- Introducing new queens to new divide colonies
- Preparing colonies for the second winter
- Best management practices for controlling diseases and mites, using medications only as a last resort
- Marla Spivak, Professor, Department of Entomology, University of Minnesota
- Gary Reuter, Scientist, Department of Entomology, University of Minnesota
- Katie Lee, Apiculture Extension Educator, University of Minnesota